Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Friday, January 26, 2007

Mac OS X - The Return of the evil brother

So, it's true, I return once again to Windows evil brother: Mac OS X. But with a twist: this time I didn't have to pay for Apple hardware, I've just used an ordinary desktop with XP, and VMWare as hardware :)

Why did I do it? To make a point: if Apple hardware can run Windows with bootcamp, Parallels or VMWare, why can't the opposite be true? If possible, I would gladly pay for Mac OS X operation system.

Apple has to understand: the world we're living is a global one, and in a global world there's no place for closed solutions. Why should we pay for hardware that is nowadays basically the same , just to use the operation system? When I had System 6 back on an LC/30, the hardware difference was huge, but those days are over. Ok, an iMac is a cool piece of hardware, but it is very closed to extensions. On the other hand, Mac OS X is a great OS. And that annoys me so much that I'm considering buying an iMac. Not fair...

For respect for Apple's wish, I will now uninstall the VMWare version of Mac OS. And I finish this article with a challenge: Mr. Steve Jobs, if you really believe in the quality of your operating system, let if run out off the cocoon it lives in let it battle side by side with is evil brother. And let the best win!

PS: when I say "let the best win", I sincerely hope that both win. More, I believe more OSs should join this group - on a perfect world, we should have a bunch of OSs we could run on the hardware we chose. Maybe on day...

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano