Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Best Code is the the code needed, and nothing more

Rich Skrenta writes that code is our enemy. Jeff Atwood continued with The Best is no code at all.

Though I can relate to much of those contents, I would like to state the
obvious: "The Best Code is the the code needed, and nothing more".

Why this La Palice statement? Well, I just can't related to the sample Atwood gave us about String.Empty - yeap, the Empty option is the right one, not only because of the marginal performance improvement, but above all because of a much higher level of intention. But this is not what bothers me, I wouldn't stop a team on a code review because of this. The problem is that nowadays we've been experiencing a trend in coding languages that defends a smaller code footprint. I don't believe this is the way to improve developers productivity. We are not typists, we are developers. Our greater asset is to solve computer science problems, not to type faster.

Should we code less? Hell yes, but on another level: up the abstractions. Particularly making extensive use of models and DSLs. So that's what I like about NHibernate and LINQ for SQL and LINQ for Entities.

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano