Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Monday, December 18, 2006

VMware to Microsoft Virtual Machine Conversion

Here is a pretty little tool: VMDK(VMWare) to VHD Converter.


From bink.nu:

Anyway I've run through a conversion and it worked a treat. I used the 'Dugie-thumb-in-the-air' guide below:
  • 'Scrub' the VMware Image using the first half of that very fine guide from Chris Wolf over at SearchServerVirtualization.com
  • Use VMDK2VHD to convert the VMDK virtual disk to to a VHD
  • Create a new VMC with roughly the same hardware (IDE drives, etc, etc) in Virtual PC 2007
  • Attach your newly created and converted VHD
  • Power up you new VMC, login and wait (a few minutes) for *all* the new hardware to be detected
  • I clicked cancel to the new hardware driver wizard
  • I also clicked no to the reboot - hey livin on the edge here
  • Install the Virtual Machine additions (v13.724)
  • Reboot
  • Let the hardware wizard run
  • Tada!

The VMDK was 1,986 Mb and it converted to a 2,001 Mb VHD in about 15 minutes on my aging T41p laptop.
Overall with VM reboots, coffee, etc, etc the whole conversion took about 40 minutes (I really should have done a screen cast of the whole process!?)

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano