Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Monday, December 18, 2006

Where's i-Technology Headed in 2007, Java people say?

Here are the trends, as Java people see it.

Some of my references and comments:

  • 'A slowdown in the AJAX hype': yeap!
  • 'The open-sourcing of Java will have no effect whatsoever on Java's slow decline in favor of dynamic languages (Ruby, Python) and C#'. More, I don't think there will be as many defections from C# to the dynamic languages, as from Java.
  • 'IE 7 will have a fast adoption curve and so Firefox will cease gaining market share' - Yeap.
  • 'IT finally admits that there is no silver bullet'. Eh, eh, eh, I agree. But I must confess, I was once young and I did believe on new silver bullets every year.
  • 'The enterprise will embrace ways to simplify development by continuing to embrace open source software and Agile Development strategies'. Yeap, not in a "all I need is open source", but more like "open source has it's place". As most definitely, alse Agile development strategies!
  • 'Dynamic languages and frameworks will continue to make leaps in popularity and adoption. Given the current squeeze on technology talent in the US, companies are going to have to learn how to do more with fewer resources. Moving to dynamic languages and frameworks as well as other simplification such as varying Agile software development practices will enable this to take place.' This is the american development community response to foreign outsourcing. And this is the way to go - I'm only sorry that this was not the answer for many people when their jobs weren't at risk...

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano