Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Asus WL-500gP: from announced heaven to living hell!

On a previous post I introduced you with Asus WL-500gP. Last week I bought one of these, and here's my review:


  • the ftp and Samba daemons work as expected. Didn't try the printer;
  • in general, the router user interface is just too bad to be true;
  • I couldn't get download manager to work; tried it on 3 boxes with firewalls down: the utilities finds the router, the downloader refuses to connect;
  • the FAQ to solve this known problem makes reference to something just not there, probably from another version;
  • the Asus forum is full of other upset users; lots of bugs and unstable versions; lots of crashes and strange communication slowdown;
  • the updatable linux firmware can go wrong on this unit, and the repair voids the waranty;

I'm returning it tomorrow. Being Asus, I'd expect a better product... The 32MB RAM linux upgradable and USB support is not enough for the instability of the unit.

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano