Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Watch out for adapter versions

I've recently acquired an old used Linksys WPC54G for my wife's notebook. I've bought it because WPC54g was supposed to be supported by Ubuntu.

After the first problems (WAP just isn't supported without ndiswrapper), I've found the following site:

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=Linksys

Here I've found that WPC54G has a Broadcom 43xx chipset on version 1 and 3, and a TI on version 2. The first version is supported on Ubuntu, the 2ª isn't, and the third is not fully supported.

Some colleages of mine just told me the same happened to them. Isn't this crazy? Would't you expect the maker to rename a product like a network adapter when the chipset changes? Arghh....

So watch out for model references - always check the version...

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano