Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Overclocking my Windows Mobile

I’m still using my old HTC 3300 (201 MHz), so if something I need is speed. I’m trying out Pocket Hack Master, and here’s my experience:

  • It can be safely overclocked to 260 MHz
  • It doesn’t seem to run any hotter, and it doesn’t waist significantly more battery
  • underclocking has an annoying effect: the display starts to flicker; only acceptable from 150 MHz up

Pocket master has a cool option: change the clock on the presence of specific apps, maybe I’ll give it a try underclocking to 65 MHz and overclocking on the presence of all the apps I use. Hopefully my battery will last longer, since I’ve activated push mail I’m arriving home with something like 10 to 20% battery left, without using GPS :(

<update>

Unfortunately the “Application speeds” strategy failed… Some apps insist on staying in memory after exit. This happens with the phone app, for starter…

</update>

<update II>

From Pocket Hack Mobile’s site:

The energy that a typical processor consumes is a square function of its clock rate. This means that a CPU running at 100MHz consumes eight times less energy than a processor running at 400MHz.

This is not the experience I’ve collected. Strange…

</update II>

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano