Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Isolating data on my data disk

As probably most of you readers, I’ve been using separate disks for applications and data for ages. I usually name the volumes with an old programming segment convention: CODE and DATA :)

Since Windows 2000 I’ve trying a different approach: moved “c:\Documents and Settings\<my account>” into d:\ , unmounted d: and mount it back as a mount point on “c:\Documents and Settings\<my account>”. With this strategy I also recovered from re-installs pretty fast, though some few apps mysteriously failed – ok, not so mysteriously, this folder holds the hive and SID references…

So now I’ve just tried  yet another strategy: first, and using explorer, I moved all the special folders I could into “d:\users\<my account>” (like “Documents”, “Desktop”, “Music”, …). But AppData was a big thorn on my side and explorer didn’t a UI to move it, so I try using a junction point manually.

For that I’ve used SysInternals’s junction utility, and started by the bigger subfolder, Local:

c:\users\mario.romano\AppData> robocopy /yourfavoriteoptions Local d:\users\mario.romano\AppData\Local

c:\users\mario.romano\AppData> move Local Local.old

c:\users\mario.romano\AppData> junction Local d:\users\mario.romano\AppData\Local


 



For now my system seems stable enough. Let’s see how it goes.

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano