Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Friday, January 16, 2009

Windows 7 build 7000

Though I’ve already downloaded the supposed leaked version for over a week, I’ve only installed it today.

I’d already installed W7, the PDC version, build 6801, so I’m not euphoric. To be honest, and a bit against the mainstream W7 support I’m seeing, I continue to believe Vista is a great OS, and W7 is just riding the wave of Vista’s investments.

Sure there are a series of improvements, sure Microsoft finally heard the customers, sure W7 waists less RAM than Vista (over 25% less on this laptop, after an upgrade). But we have to keep in mind that W7 is just a minor release over the Vista revolution. And that probably the major reason of success of W7 are:

  • better hardware (hey, over 2 years have passed by! most Vista unfriendly hardware is now gone)
  • better drivers (the new driver model has been finally digested by hardware providers)
  • time – only time will heal :)

Now that I got this out of my chest, I can finally say, like the rest of us: “gee, W7 is a cool OS!”. Can’t wait to get a final version on my laptop.

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano