Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Saving money!

Look, mom, I'm not the only lunatic that wants to save money! Here's Hanselman's contribution.

Yes I know, I'm really obsessed with logging data - I keep log my car logs since 1993! Sick!

Energy saving is my last data acquisition obsession. On 2005, I was spending 11,76 KW/h per day, and managed to lower my daily consumption to 5,48 KW/h!

Here's how I've managed to get such savings:

  • changed all lighting to power-saving lamps
  • turned off equipment I used to stand-by
  • moved my servers away from home into an ASP
  • only powered on my net appliances (router, WiFi AP) when needed
  • plugged out of the power socket equipment that still sucked up power turned off
  • changed the refrigerator for a more power effective unit - ok, the old refrigerator broke down, I (kind of) got lucky

To support some of these, I bought a watt meter and some remote operated power sockets.

Hope you too can save some money with this hits. And the planet we all live in...

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano