Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Saving power

I've finally found the right remote power controller for the right price which really doesn't wastes power.

I've found it at LIDL. It is a Mandolyn 9952, a set of:

  • remote controller
  • 3 remotely controlled sockets
  • 1 remotely controlled dimmer
I've got my self two of these set, for 25€ each, and started setting them up. Here's my topology:

  • Channel1: electronics at the living room; for now my old 32' CRT TV (16W standby) and my old XBox (9W just for being linked into the socked))
  • Channel2: portable power adapters and networking; power adapter at the living room (9W), power adapter at the bed room (9W), ADSL modem + Wireless AP (26W)
  • Channel 3: electronics at the bedroom; 20' CRT TV (16W)

I didn't make reference to my bedroom DVD and living room Home Cinema because they don't waste power on standby.

A word of advise to the range: all my (small) apartment is in range! That pretty cool, but comes with a price: hope my neighbor doesn't get nothing on these frequencies...

And here's the economical analysis, assuming I'm only using all of these 4 hours a day: (20/24) x (16 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 26 + 16) x 24 x 30 / 1000 x 0,12 = 6,12€ / month savings! I'll have my ROI back in 8 months. Try and find businesses with better ROI while helping to save the planet and let's still allows you to turn of your TV from your bed :)

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano