Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Saturday, October 06, 2007

PlentyOfFish.com: How one man beat the big guys

It's impressive. Markus Frind is the champion of how simplicity works. He built alone a profitable business, that he operates alone, over an alone web server supported by 2 database servers. 33 million page views per day. Pretty impressive.

Here's his story to ARCCast. I've particularly liked:

Ron: Well, first of all, how do you kind of monitor these things? You're watching for response times and that sort of thing? What'd you do to see how it was working?
Markus: Well, I was using the--what's the thing called where you launch the CPU and page requests per second? There was that, but a much easier way was just using the task monitor and seeing the network bandwidth used. And if it's a flatline, you're good; if it goes like this, you're screwed. [laughs]

...
Ron: Yeah! And, you know, but you don't have any kind of business analyst, you know, you are not looking out at analyzing the market or anything like that. Basically, people like to go out on dates, they like to meet each other, they're lonely, there is a growing number, there's good demographic there, right?

[laughter]
Ron: I guess that behavior is not that difficult to anticipate, right?
Markus: I don't need to hire a bunch of people to tell me common sense.

[laughter]
Markus: It's blindingly obvious when you look at the site what's going on. Or, if that isn't obvious, if you just go to other competitors and see what they're doing.

I mean, chances are that these couple of a hundred employees that they've hired, they must be doing something right. So, if they're doing something right, I just go at it and look and "Oh, it looks like a good feature, and maybe I should have that!"

I mean, the industry isn't terribly innovative. I mean, you are hooking up people, how innovative can you get?

[laughter]

You can't get simpler than this. This is not just simple, is more like basic. And yeap, it's impressive how sometimes basic just works...

Congratulations, Markus :)

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano