Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The next language I'll put my hands on will be...

F#. I had already chosen to learn a new FP language. My choice was F# because:


  • it is statically typed (may be one day I'll catch up with the dynamically typed ones, until then my past traumas will no doubt keep me away from those);
  • it's not pure FP - there is a scape valve for my ignorance;
  • it's syntax is not too awkward;
  • it has a nice IDE I am used to;
  • comes freely attached to our beloved CLR :) ;
  • as an R&D language, I won't be committed to F# - kind of a one night stand with a language :) ;
  • I got my hands on a copy of Foundations of F# by Robert Pickering; it's a very accessible and pragmatic book, look for your selfs:
    • CHAPTER 1 Introduction
    • CHAPTER 2 How to Obtain, Install, and Use F#
    • CHAPTER 3 Functional Programming
    • CHAPTER 4 Imperative Programming
    • CHAPTER 5 Object-Oriented Programming
    • CHAPTER 6 Organizing, Annotating, and Quoting Code
    • CHAPTER 7 The F# Libraries
    • CHAPTER 8 User Interfaces
    • CHAPTER 9 Data Access
    • CHAPTER 10 Distributed Application
    • CHAPTER 11 Language-Oriented Programming
    • CHAPTER 12 The F# Tool Suite and .NET Programming Tools
    • CHAPTER 13 Compatibility and Advanced Interoperation

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano