Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Watch out for some kind of reusability...

Some month ago Hollander has warned us about The Seven Deadly Sins of Reusable Asset Development. For Tom, they are:

  1. Not harvesting from proven practices.
  2. Solutions that are more complex than the problem.
  3. Custom solutions to generic problems.
  4. Diverging too far from the base platform.
  5. Lock-in to a single company or architectural approach.
  6. Not considering ongoing maintenance and support costs.
  7. Not focusing on usability, documentation and training .

I can relate to some of these - they make me remember some of my own old mistakes :) From the new ones, I recognize to have a slight tendency for number 5 (Lock-in to a single company or architectural approach).

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano