Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Project Management Certification

I'm presently in the process of certification in Project Management .

The certification authority is APOGEP, a member of International Project Management Association (IPMA).

I've been managing projects for some years now, so I thought there was nothing much to learn. I was wrong. In the course I've been attending to support the certification, I've been absorbing much formal structuralism that I lacked, and that will help me improving my management skills.

APOGEP certifies four different stages of program certification:

Level A: Certificated Program Director

Specification:
Must have capacity to guide all projects that form a program or all projects from a business unit.

Requirements
15 years of experience as project manager where the last five were passed as project management director, with a direct relationship to customers and employees.

Level B: Certificated Project Manager

Specification:
Must have capacity to guide all projects that form a program or all projects from a business unit.

Requirements:
10 years of comproved experience as senior coordinator technician in project teams and/or as project manager, where the last five were passed as manager of complex projects.

Level C: Certificated Project Management Professional

Specification:
Is capable to manage small projects, coordinate technical tasks and to support project manager director activities.

Requirements
5 years of comproved experience as senior coordinator technician in project teams and/or as project manager within small projects.
Certification exam approval.

Level D: Project Management Practitioner

Specification:
Must have knowledgment on project management that can be applied in specific areas. Experience is not required.

Requirements:
Certification exam approval.



I presently hold the lower of the certifications - Level D. It's like being certified to be a wizard's apprentice.

I'm working toward the next Level, Level C. I just produced a report of my management experience, and I will be put to trial on an all day project management workshop - I'm expecting an urban guerrilla warfare kind of workshop. It wouldn't be nice, I've been informed...

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano