Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Choosing compression options

I'm still spending some time managing my development servers. Backing up virtual machine images is a CPU intensive operation, so I'd imagine my 8 core server wouldn't have a problem with it. I was wrong, for some strange reason, 7Zip was using only one core. After some tests, I've found out the relevance of the compression method:

method #cores used
zip 1
7z 2
bzip2 8

I've yet to measure the core usage efficiency, but until otherwise proven bzip2 will be my default compression method on this servers.

PS: I'd expect 7z to have a better compression rate than bzip2, but the time frame to compress images is crucial on these servers.

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano