Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Taking photos on the water

Water, salt and sand are not the friends your reflex can get. Though I often take the camera with me to the beach, I ended up taking pictures from the beach, not from the water. Like the next one:

IMG_2387

Even a shot like this can be hazardous for your camera. A while after this shot, a wave bigger than I expected got me while lying on the sand and the camera nearly took a dip.

Every now and then I jumped into the water, but only on low tide with calm waters, like this:

image

A hard case costs more than my camera, so I decided to get a cheaper bag case. The case choice itself wasn’t simple, as we can buy a cheap underwater camera for about the same price, but the performance and flexibility of an SLR is something I wasn’t willing to give up.

I chose Aquapac Waterproof SLR case (code 455), a 80£ (92.5€) bag. I wanted to buy an ewa-marine big enough to carry a flash, but it costs over 250€.

Aquapac didn’t guarantee that if could be fitted on either my Canon 10D and 50D, but I still ordered to check. Naturally I’m trying it on my old 10D, with an old Canon 28-105 USM, a lens I seldom use. And it fits. Not that it is easy to slip it in, you have to get the hand of it, but it fits. Here it is:

image

The operation is, well, clumsy. As expected. But I can still (slowly) use all of the buttons. I can even use the lens zoom.

I haven’t yet used it under water – well, to be honest I’ve dipped it underwater and took a shot, but the water was so rough that I couldn’t see anything. I have to try it out on a pool :)

Here are some shots above water:

imageimageimage 

And there is it, I can now get my camera to the beach, to the river, to canoeing, to sailing, and so on.

 IMG_2137 Let me finish with two important advises:

  • avoid contact with sunscreens: I wasn’t careful and here’s a shot of what happened
  • be sure to carry a bottle of water and some cleaning cloth – salty water is definitely not a good filter for your shots

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano