Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

GPRS sucks... but it works

I'm presently posting using a GPRS connection - yes, it's true, HTC 3300 doesn't support UMTS.

So how slow is GPRS? Here is the result from my device on bandwidthplace.com/speedtest: 2.4 mbps.

2.4 mbps?!?! Eh, eh, eh, I 'm using Opera Mini, all traffic is proxied :) Now from IE: 48,8 kbps.

48,8 kbps is in the range of V90 modem and RDIS. According to Wikipedia, I should have at most something like:

  • 80 kbps downstream / 20 kbps upstream
  • 60 kbps downstream / 40kbps upstream

What about the cost? I'm using an enterprise bundle which comes with base traffic usage from which all of us can take traffic. It usually gets exhausted on day 22 of each month, and from then on we have to pay 0,085€ / MB, on 100KB slots.

It's true, GPRS is darn slow, but it keep me informed and posting from just about anywhere.

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano