Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Running my old VMWare machines

VMWare Player drivers are still unsigned, so the only way to run them on Windows Server 2008 x64 is to accept unsigned drivers on boot time.

More: Windows Server 2008 uses too much memory, so I have looked for an alternative. The answer was dual booting with a stripped down version of VMWare: TinyXP.

Yes, I know, TinyXP is now as legal as it should, but what the hell, I do own a legal XP license.

Installing TinyXP was quiet simple. The stripped down version uses only 50MB of memory - 42MB without explorer. After installing NVIDEA and wireless drivers, and replacing explorer with VMWare console (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon Shell), I have a minimalist VMWare host.

I had an option that I didn't try out: Linux. Though legal, I have some doubts about sync/clocking problems, drivers performance, and I'm afraid I wouldn't use less memory.

And having an XP around to solve x64 incompatible drivers / apps is a must!

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano