Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Why do developers hate BPM?

in: infoq

John Raynolds asked recently the question: "Why do java developers hate BPM?"

BPM suites [...] rob you of your creativity [and] dictate to you how you will develop your application. BPM suites make programming boring. They force you to use point-and-click and drag-and-drop tools to design your process diagrams, data models and forms.

What's worse, they actually encourage Business People to model processes and design forms on their own...

Umm, not a great article to read when attending a BPM course as I am, is it? I can surely understand John's point of view, but we have to keep in mind that the goal of our industry is to fulfill our customer's business needs, not to do the things that we like. As much as this makes me sad.

I can also relate to most of the comments - for example, someone argues that none of the good BPM suites are freely available to developers. Yeap, I know, I'm using an expensive one...

The thing is: BPM can help us bridging the gap from business to developers - I hope. It's not the only answer, but one on which I have high hopes... Let's see how this works for my projects - I'll post (some of) my experience back here in 2 or 3 months.

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano