Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Not there yet

Ubuntu is a great OS. But Ubuntu keeps refusing to work on my crappy old hardware...

With 7.10, somethings work better. I can now finally setup my PCMICA SMC card without opening a bash shell! Yes, WPA. Cool. Of course when the connection drops, I still have to open a shell an restart the wlan1 device, but things are getting better. And yes, my other PCMCIA card, a Linksys, is still not supported... And yes, I had to do a text installation - on a separate CD!

This was the experience on an old Celeron - an old Toshiba Satellite. On another old desktop I have, the LiveCD just didn't work.

Finally I've tried it on another Toshiba - a Satellite Pro 4600, with an impressive PIII. The LiveCD works sometimes - most of the times Ubuntu just sets the wrong display mode and I have to restart until I can see anything.

The real problem is that, even when it works, XP is several times faster on my crappy old hardware - and yes, I've also tried Xubuntu. On new hardware, Ubuntu is a great OS.

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano