Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Write once - run anywhere

Every now and then we dream at the philosopher's stone of our industry, giving applications the ability to write once and run anywhere.

Some examples of success stories on the browsers are:

  • HTML
  • Javascript
  • Flash
  • Silverlight
Now I'm definitely going against the trend: I frankly don't believe that the browsers should be the foundations on which we should build most of our software. There, I've said it.

Most people argue the browser should be the foundation because of it's ubiquity and independence, regardless of how hard and clumsy the layers we have to build upon.

Here's my wish list:
  • we should be able to run exactly the same code into any OS
  • the code should run on a VM over an intermediate language
  • the intermediate language should support dynamic and statically typed languages
  • the intermediate language should be able to support a vast variety of languages
  • the class library should also support the OSs idiosyncrasies
Until this point I'm pretty much defining JVM and .NET. But now the list continues:
  • I want to be able to create rich graphic interfaces
  • I want to be able to create forms - and yes, with dialogs!
  • I want to hold data on the client across a session
  • I want to hold data on the client across sessions
  • I want to manage the connected/disconnected model with ease
  • I want an object oriented database at the client
  • I want a pluggable model
  • I want to be able to subscribe to notifications
  • I want to deploy with ease
What I really need is an extra smart application :)

[update]
And no, this is not Microsoft Volta. Is this the correct project name? What the hell happen to Volta, was it abandoned?

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano