It's about time! My good friend Manuel Fonseca bought an Hanlin eReader, so I could finally get my hands on one of this gadgets. Thank god for China prices!
Here are my first impressions:
- my real first experience was: it seemed like a conventional device with one of those phony covers showing off features :)
- great reading experience!
- the size is bigger than I though; I can comfortably read eBooks;
- strange as it may seem, though lacking contrast (the background is kind of gray) it is still comfortable to read;
- the page swapping is just too ugly to be true - this devices usually flash the screen;
- half of battery disappeared over the weekend - Manuel did his best to hurry the first battery cycle; the operating time of the rechargeable battery is supposed to be about a month without recharging, based on an average use of 300 pages reading a day;
- the OS interface is not the most beautiful UI I came across;
- still buggy - Manuel complained about 2 restarts (over the first weekend) - too much for a non Windows CE device;
For me it is a great value for 300$. But then again, I have no other to compare with.
And here come the specs - from Hanlin site:
- Hanlin eReader V3 with VizplexTM
- Screen:600*800 6-inch e-Ink display (EPD), 4 levels of greyscale
- SDRAM : 32M Byte, Internal 2M NOR FLASH, SD card slot on the top of the device, memory extension up to 4GB
- CPU:Samsung Arm9 200Mhz
- OS: Linux OS
- Format Support: PDF,DOC,WOLF,MP3,HTML,TXT,CHM,FB2,
- Language Support: English, Chinese,
Russian, Ukraine, Turkish, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Bulgarian, Estonian, Polish and more is adding...
- Accessories: 1 charger, 1 USB cable, 1 earphone, 1 battery and 1 hand band.
- Certificates: CE RoHS is applying