Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Re-enabling Hibernate on Vista

Let me start explaining how I found out this: 'Mister M' was afraid to hibernate his Ubuntu with a running VMWare guest mounted on an external USB drive. So I tried to do the same on my Windows Vista, explaining how confident I was on Vista reliability, only to find out my Hibernate option had vanished! More, I couldn't find the a way to re-enabling it on Power Options.

After some googling I found out:

If you've found that your Hibernate option is missing from Windows Vista, it might be from running the disk cleanup wizard and removing the hibernate files.
This is due to a known bug in Vista that might not have been hotfixed already.

It goes on:

Turning it back on is very simple, however. Type cmd into the start menu search box, and use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open in administrator mode. You can also right-click the item in the menu and choose Run as Administrator.

Uau! Simple, ehm?...

From the command prompt, type in the following command:

c:\> powercfg /hibernate on

And if this wasn't good enough for 'Mister M', it ended up:

You'll have to restart your computer before it will take effect.

Oh, well, I deserved it. 'Mister M' had his revenge :)

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano