Just sharing some of my inconsequential lunch conversations with you... RSS  

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Installing SubVersion

It's been a while since I started using a source control system. It was RCS, and when an older colleague of mine introduced me the concept, I clear remember to trash the idea. I didn't need that, I was in control! Ei, I was young and wild, I really though writing compact and unreadable C++ statements a cool think to do... Naturally I soon got hooked with RCS, and as most of our industry have been using some source control system since.

Then I've moved into Microsoft technology, and adopted the infamous and ubiquitous SourceSafe. And though I had contact with CVS, SubVersion and TFS, RCS and SourceSafe were the systems I used the most.

The other day I had to install Subversion, and for some strange reason I've never installed SubVersion! I've always been a client to SubVersion. Whenever possible the TortoiseSVN kind of client, not the command line one - except for checking out opensource projects on Linux just to build them.

So I've started browsing the web for help. My first impressions were not encouraging: except for installing the bits, most of configuration had to be made my hand over configuration files. I then found this wonderful SVN 1-Click Setup, who did most of the initial heavy lifting configuration. It was up and running in 5 minutes!

I still have to dump into the configuration files to tune SubVersion, federate it to our Active Directory and assure I'm not installing the fastest troyan on our DMZ (yes, we'll be exporting this to the outside world). Don't worry, I intend to ask for help from my colleagues that really know about SubVersion before exposing my rookie installation into the outside wild :)

No comments:

Development Catharsis :: Copyright 2006 Mário Romano